Tuesday, June 9, 2009

DEVIL OR ANGEL


Meet Lucifer. He is the rubber snake my very ornery father introduced into our family many moons ago. He waltzed into our family room with a Wal-Mart bag and handed it to my soon to be daughter-in-law. Dads way of welcoming this sweet girl into the family. Since then Lucifer has been the subject of many pranks startling friends, family and salespeople alike. I have used him as a visual in Kid's Church and a decoration in several themes. His most important job is warding the barn swallows away from our carport. Messy little birds they are!

A couple weeks ago Lucifer was curled up on the car where the swallows were staking their claim from above. It was Thursday and I ALWAYS mow on Thursdays. I also always move the car to the lot behind the house where it is safe from flying objects that could be hurled from the mower.(rarely happens...but...just in case) I flung Lucifer over the edge of the carport roof, mounted the lawnmower to begin my two hour task. Don't get me wrong, I love to mow. One might say I am obsessed with it. Hey, I like my grass even. Nothing wrong with that, right?

I was sporting along full throttle down be-boppin' to the tune in my head. I had no thoughts of Lucifer or where I had flung him. Hypnotized in the mow zone, I zipped around the corner of the carport carefully mowing a strip along the path when it happened. Out of nowhere a big black snake dropped from above. I'm telling you, this chick almost lost her bladder! Body shaking, heart pounding louder than a drum and shrieking like a tree frog, I managed to stay on the moving mower......just barely.

Today I put Lucifer back in the bag and placed him on the shelf in the closet where he resides when he is not working. Next time I get him out will I use him for good or evil? Will I be a Devil or Angel? ' Just depends!!!
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

  1. Oh, the fun He and I could have around here!
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having read the previous post "I don't like snakes and spiders", I thought you were using it as a tool, trampling it to stay trained in squashing snakes, lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too funny! I also use rubber snakes to keep the swallows from nesting in my barn. They work great and are so inexpensive. I enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have definitely lost it!!!
    I am terrified of those slithery critters. I have crows who bring snakes to the split rail fence in my front yard, to peck them to death, or near, and eat what parts they want then leave the rest for me to clean up. I don't mind them killing the snakes but not in my yard please.
    One of my fears is when I am outside working they will drop a snake on me. God forbid!!!!!
    I don't blame you for putting your snake in a sack and retiring him. I'd have done it a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have Lucifer's brother and oh, the tales I could tell.

    ReplyDelete

Yippie Tie Yie Yay, I'm so glad you popped in. I adore, cherish and covet your comments. Even though I love seein' my name in lights I am an award free blog. Thanks for visitin' ya'll!

Related Posts with Thumbnails